Thursday, December 10, 2009

City Snapshot: Rome. The 1st Visit.

Rome is an amazing city. You really have to see it to believe it! I have been there twice, and I could easily return! All of the photos in this post are from the 1st visit; almost 5 years ago. I was in Rome before I arrived in Paris (you can see the city snapshot of this visit here).


To me, Rome is unforgettable. The minute you start walking through out the city, you are amazed by the old ruins, the Colosseum, the Arc de Constantine, the Piazza Venezia, and the list goes on!



The views were fantastic from the Piazza Venezia.

I would recommend visiting Rome (and for that matter, any large European city) in Winter. Mainly because the crowds are virtually non-existant, and you don't need to line up. When I returned to Rome for the second time, we were constantly in lines because we were there during the Summer.

Also, everywhere has heating, but very few places have air conditioning. So when it is hot, you just need to put up with it.


I was so excited to see in real life buildings and artworks that I had only ever read about or seen in movies and books! My art teacher in high school would always become so excited, trying to explain to us how amazing Europe is, and the art and architecture it holds. I began to discover this when I was there...



This is the very edited version of my photos from Rome. I couldn't put the camera down! Every turn there was something more to take photos of. Thank goodness for digital cameras!


I discovered an amazing fabric shop on one of the main roads in Rome. You wouldn't believe how thrilled I was! The had fabrics from many Italian and French designers. It was fantastic! Considering that I didn't speak a word of Italian, and they barely spoke 2 words of English, we made do. They were very friendly.







Of course, no Roman holiday is complete without a visit to St.Peters Basilica. Even if you are not religious it is well worth it to see the architecture, and art inside.

For me, the inside of the Basilica was amazing. Every artwork is actually not painted- they have made duplicate copies of the paintings from mosaics; only when you see them up close can you tell the difference- it is astounding! The other Church which has had a similar treatment is the Saviour on Spilled Blood Cathedral, situated in St.Petersburg, Russia.




I was lucky enough to get to the top of St.Peters Basilica. It has a great view of the city, and an interesting view of St.Peters Square.

Looking at these photos now, I am reminded of another book I have recently read: Dan Brown's "Angels and Demons". A great book, which is set in Rome and covers all of the sights which I have seen.


Looking at these photos again, makes me want to return to Europe as soon as I can, but also, makes me thankful that I have had the opportunity in the first place!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Penny, Can't help myself have to comment, I love Rome too! it is my favourite city in europe and have been there 3 times and would go back at a drop of a hat,you look fabulous in that coat and so happy. Have a good day luv and cheers Lorelle xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I was definitely happy in Rome- such a beautiful and mysterious city! I have been there twice, and it was my favourite European city for a while, but now I think it would be Vienna or Florence. I must get around to doing more city snap shots- any excuse to take another look at those photos.

    ReplyDelete