Friday, August 14, 2009

The Penelope Red Ikat Bolero

The Penelope Red Ikat Bolero was inspired by, as the name suggests, my visit to the NSW Art Gallery Exhibition: Silk Ikats of Central Asia

"Ikat" is a style of weaving that uses a resist dyeing process- similar to tie-dye. This is done before the threads are woven to create a pattern or design. The fabrics used in this Penelope Red design are not ikat silk; the textures that I have used remind me of the beautiful gowns and textiles that I did see at the exhibition.


I decided to use two contrasting fabrics. The paler camel colour is a recycled wool, the darker, more textural fabric is a recycled wool/silk/lurex blend, that has been woven into a very individual jacquard/boucle. The jacquard features a fleur-de-lis design, and there are thick threads of coloured silk that have been woven, giving it a slight bouclé look.


I love the vintage buttons I found! They are silver little roses- and they go well with the slight silver lurex that has been woven into the jacquard. Of course, I have also made welt buttonholes. They finish off the bolero perfectly!


This bolero is fully lined, and I even placed the same embroidery on the inside too! I always like to have the inside looking as beautiful as the outside!


I love full sleeves at the moment! I also love creating sections of panelling and contrast with in my patterns, so for the sleeve, I created a peak in the middle.


Doesn't the contrasting lining look lovely against the outside textures! I added the maroon embroidery around the camel fabric to tie in the lining, to bring out the colours in the jacquard, and because of my inspiration!


The dummy is not a size 10, and is a little too small for the bolero, so I will hopefully get some photos of this design on a body soon, so I can show it to you properly!


I have done this style before, in other fabrics. Take a look at the Osaka Citrus Bolero in the Penelope Red "Lady In Red" Gallery.

The Osaka Citrus Bolero was also featured in the Tessuti Blog.




This is a one-off design, and there will never be another one exactly the same!


Updated: Monday 19th October 2009: The Penelope Red Ikat Bolero is now on sale in my Etsy shop.

No comments:

Post a Comment